Monday, March 19, 2012

crash recovery (huge rollback) going on over 24 hours! How can I stop it?

Crash recovey is going on over 24 hours!

I want to stop it!

One of the databases in our server is in recovery mode after a huge

delete job (started as a job) did not complete ( I suspect due to

lack of transaction log sapce.) the log file size is 120 GB.

Whenever the server restarted the recovery for this database starts.

After 20 hours, analysis done 100% and recovery done up to

76%. Then after “the percentage of recovery done” went down to

16% and it is still running.

How can I get rid of this database without damaging the master database and other database in the same instance?

I don’t mind to lose this database.

There are 4 user databases in this instance and msdb and the recovery mode database are not operational.(I cannot connect)

Your best option is to let recovery complete. Anything else you try to do is not supported and could end up causing you bigger problems.

I also recommend batching up your delete job in some way to avoid having a single, huge transaction that could cause the log file to run out of space.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment