Monday, March 19, 2012

CRAXDRT.Application.OpenReport - VERY slow

I have a CR 8.0 report that's been running against MySQL through VB6 for several years now, without ANY problems.

Just a few weeks ago we changed to new servers, and all my reports are running just fine, except one, which also happens to be the biggest (~2.9M). The report is running from a network drive, although I've tried it on a local drive with no real difference in perforamnce. Here's the code I'm using to open the report:

Dim cr As New CRAXDRT.Application
Dim report As CRAXDRT.report

Set report = cr.OpenReport(fName)

Again, nothing special. This has run quite well until now. The query itself that the report generates is quite large, but executes against the MySQL server in around .2 seconds, which isn't nearly the delay I'm seeing.

This call to OpenReport takes close to 20 seconds. I'm sure this has something to do with the server change, but without information, there isn't anything that I can do do fix it...

Any ideas?I forgot to add: The report runs very fast in the Crystal Report IDE.|||Dear ejj,

Have you by any chance found the solution yet ?

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as you described. We recently migrated our NT4 domain to a WIN2003 domain (with some new servers) and after that some reports have become slow when calling the openreport function.

The only difference is that I'm using CR9 and the report is also opening slow in the CR Developer.

Best regards,
TheDaoka|||Dear ejj,

Have you by any chance found the solution yet ?

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as you described. We recently migrated our NT4 domain to a WIN2003 domain (with some new servers) and after that some reports have become slow when calling the openreport function.

The only difference is that I'm using CR9 and the report is also opening slow in the CR Developer.

Best regards,
TheDaoka

Well, I fixed it, but never found what the problem was.

Thourgh trial and error I removed stuff from the report until it got faster. There was a subreport in the report that I deleted and the whole thing spead up. I then re-created the SAME subreport with the SAME query and magically everything got faster.

I can't explain it. Same database, same data, same schema, etc. But, it works now. :confused:|||Hi Ejj,

I just found this in the latest hotfixes for CR9:

ADAPT00212276 Patch ID: 35846238
Description:
When a report contains subreports that are imported through UNC paths, the report is slow to open when the network
connection is down.
Crystal Reports checks to see if the UNC pathname exists, before it checks to see if the user wants to re-import the
subreport. This causes an uncecessary delay in opening the report.
New Behavior:
The order of operations when opening a report is reversed: the new algorithm checks the pathname after the user
chooses to re-import.

-------------------

I have some reports with subreports which were imported from a server that no longer exists.

I installed the latest CR dll's and now it's back to normal.

Best regards,
TheDaoka|||TheDaoka -

Thanks for the information! Don't know why I never came across that in my search, but that sounds exactly like the problem I was having.

Glad you found it! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment