Thursday, March 29, 2012

Create and Edit flat file from Sqlserver (SP).

HI All,
I use sqlserver2000 server.
I have a requirement to create a flat file(.txt) and dump the data into the file with some formatting.
I tried to use DTS but,
1. it doesnt allow me to put one row information of table to multiple line in the flat file.
2. Dynamically we cannot create n number of files we need from DTS.

Now, i am trying to create a file from sql server Stored Procedure and write data into it.

Can any one help me..
How to create and write to file from sqlserver (sp) .

Regards

Abdul lateef.Originally posted by a_lateef

I tried to use DTS but,
1. it doesnt allow me to put one row information of table to multiple line in the flat file.
2. Dynamically we cannot create n number of files we need from DTS.


Maybe if you add a ActiveX script step in the DTS package. Hope someone else can explain further...|||Greetings!

I personally would just write a script (pick a language of choice) to pull the data from the server, format it and then write it to a textfile. Although there are ways to do it in SQL Server it is very cumbersome and I think you will find that just about any other language will offer a lot more flexibility in this case. If you use something like a Visual Basic Script file you could then just set it up as a job to run when it was supposed to.

Maybe someone else could offer something else on this, good luck!

HTH!|||I am unclear as to what you want in the text file - could you explain in detail (what are your requirements) - maybe with an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment