Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Create a Testing Database out of existing DB

Hello All,

I was wondering if anybody can help me with the following question:

I'm working on the application where the Database, it's table (2) and several stored procedures are involved. The database is SQL Server 2000. It's also very old and involves a lot of operations, stored proc and so on. I just need to re-write a piece of the app which is using existing stored proc. Most of them are DELETE, INSERT and so on. I don't want to work with real stage DB and need to make a copy of the Database to my Dev box. So I tried:

* Right click, All Tasks, Export Data into the newly created database on my dev box.

That doesn't work, every time I try doing it, it fails somewhere in the middle of the process. I'm thinking it happens because of complexity of the database. I tried several options there already. Still nothing. I need the whole databse to be copied because I'm not sure which stored proc the app is using so I need them all, and tables too. Is there another way of doing this?

Thank you,

Tatyana

If you make a backup of the database (or detach it) you can restore it (or re-attach it) under a different name and therefore create multiple instances of it.

|||

Mark,

Thank you very much! Your suggestion worked!

Tatyana

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment